As the Lenten season comes to an end and Holy Week approaches, I hope that I will continue to live without some things. This year I felt like God was challenging me to give up something a little less common than chocolate or television. In fact I have never heard of anyone giving up what I felt like he was asking me to give up, yet I knew that I treasured this one thing more than I should. Not only was this thing dear to me, but it was also the fuel that kept my negative attitude and discontent burning. It was creating in me an ungrateful heart and contributing to my lack of joy. God was asking me to give up.... ..... .... complaining.
I never really realized how much I complained (and still do) until I tried to do without. It was crazy to realize how many things seemed worthy of a complaint. My mind was so consumed with the things that weren't as I thought they should be that I was missing all the things in my life that were better than most. My focus was way off. So, every time I caught myself wanting to complain I would instead think of something I was thankful for. After a while, I quickly realized that I really shouldn't be complaining at all. God has blessed me in so many ways and yet I still want to focus on the things that aren't perfect. The Lord has helped me to adjust my perspective and attitude by refusing to complain and thanking God for His blessings instead. What started as a Lenten concession will hopefully continue as an attribute of my "new life" in Christ.
that's pretty cool man. I'm sure we could all find new life from giving that up.
ReplyDeletemiss ya man. We need to get together for some golf.