Thief
"The thief’s purpose is to steal and kill and destroy. My purpose is to give them a rich and satisfying life." --John 10:10
Have you ever called the devil, "thief?" It's an interesting name for the enemy; one that Christ uses in John's gospel. What is it that Satan is stealing from you?
Just last week my wife and I moved into our new home in Gardner, KS. As you would expect, the move was filled with excitement and stress. We were thrilled to be purchasing our first home and excited about our new community, but the stress of moving is almost unbearable. Our lives were consumed with packing, cleaning, changing addresses, canceling services, adding new services, closing, cleaning some more, renting a truck, finding help, cleaning again, unpacking, and so much more. After the first few stressful days in our new home, I could sense my attitude sinking into the dumps.
The day after we moved all of our stuff to the new place, I went to the old place to clean. In the midst of an all day cleaning session, I found out that the cable company that was supposed to be at our new house installing internet that day had backed out on their appointment. After two hours on the phone trying to understand what just happened, and working towards a solution, my attitude was completed wasted.
After 8 hours of cleaning and a disappointing experience with the cable company, I returned home to our new place in time for some friends of ours to visit. As I sulked in my own pity, our visiting friends celebrated the blessings we had been given with this new home. As they walked through the home you could sense their genuine excitement and joy for us. They were seeing all the good things right in front of me that I was missing. They revealed to me that my joy and gratitude had been stolen by the "thief."
After our friends left, the Spirit of God helped me to understand that in a moment of stress and frustration, the enemy had snuck in to deceive me. He had stolen my joy and gratitude by making the focus of my heart the stress and disappointment I was experiencing rather than the blessings God was granting. My circumstances were not discouraging, but my focus and perspective had been hi-jacked. There was a thief at work in my heart, keeping me from blessings and presence of God.
There is a thief running loose in your spiritual neighborhood. Do all you can to protect yourself.
Thanks for you sharing. While I am not glad to know that a thief had stolen from you, I am thrilled that you were willing to share the story. I think we let the thief steal from us far too often. Great thoughts!
ReplyDelete